BT Youview is a set top box for your TV that has over 70 channels of basic digital TV, catch up and on demand services via a broadband connection. Let’s have a look at what the box has to offer.
What packages come with the BT Youview Box?
BT have three Youview Box packages:
- Starter + BT Sport package
- BT’s Entertainment Bundle
- YouView+ Ultra HD box
With The Starter + BT Sport package you get the basic BT YouView Box, which will allow you to watch catch-up TV, On-demand TV plus you can pause and rewind live TV.
BT’s Entertainment Bundle includes the YouView+ box on which you can record up to 300 hours of TV. YouView+ Ultra HD box which is the top package in addition to the other packages allows you to watch TV in UHD or 4K quality
Every BT TV package comes with a YouView set-top box.
BT’s YouView boxes allow you to watch live TV let you seamlessly watch live or on-demand TV across multiple services, including Netflix, iPlayer and NOW TV. You can also buy or rent the latest films and box sets from the BT TV Store.
You can also buy the Youview box directly from Amazon, Argos, Currys, John Lewis, Richer Sound and Humax. No monthly payments or contracts!
TalkTalk also offers a Youview bundle, which is their Fast Broadband + TalkTalk TV + TV Lite Box package. It is £26.50 a month and includes line rental. A £25 TV box cost applies.
What is Youview?
YouView is basically a service which combines Freeview/ Freesat (which has 70 or so free-to-air) options, with the option to access internet-based, video-on-demand services, most of which are free. The free options include: BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4, Demand 5 plus STV and S4C, UKTV Play – (Dave, Yesterday, Really and Drama)
You can also get access to Netflix and Now TV Cinema, although you would need to pay for these services. At this point in time Sky does not support the Entertainment, Kids or Sports passes on YouView and it’s an open question as to whether they will do so in the future. Many YouView boxes also support Amazon Video and YouTube and it’s a fair bet that if any major new video streaming platforms come into play, they will also be added as partners.
How do I install Youview
- Connect the aerial cable to your YouView box. ...
- Connect your YouView box to your TV. ...
- Connect your YouView box to your router. ...
- Connect the power cables. ...
- Switch on your YouView box. ...and it’s good to go.
If you have any further questions on installation, BT’s user guides online really outline everything you need to know and more!
BT Youview Box review
There are very few reviews just on the standalone box itself and its quality. On Amazon, customers rate the box 4.4 stars out of 5, which is fairly impressive. Some of the criticism includes wifi issues, loading issues and recording malfunctions.
Youview Box problems
If you encounter any issues with your Youview Box from BT, you can use the TV and sport help tool on their website. Before contacting BT, you can troubleshoot some of the most common issues yourself. These include:
Checking for updates
- Go to settings
- Go to Information & Reset sub-menu
- Choose Software Information
- Click Update Software
Fixing Recording Problems
- Check that the channel you want to record is working correctly
- Secure your equipment cable
- Make sure your TV box is on
- Go to the Scheduled section on My TV to check if your recordings are set up properly
- If the signal is only an issue on one channel, this is a problem coming from your provider
- If multiple channels are down you may have an intermittent aerial connection,
- Try to check the position of your aerial
- Check the service status page to check if there is a major network interruption
- Use your landline to check if your broadband is working
- Restart your BT hub
- Check the lights on the hub to see what they indicate
- Power cycle your modem (only for Openreach fibre customers)
- Check the test socket
BT Youview Customer Care
You can ring BT TV Customer service on 00 44 1793 596931 if you are still encountering issues.
The BT Youview Box is a pretty good option for those who want it all. Find out how to troubleshoot your box.