- What is tethering?
- How does tethering work?
- What is USB tethering?
- What is Bluetooth tethering?
- How do I tether an iPhone?
- How do I tether an Android?
- Can I tether a phone to my router?
- How can I tether via bluetooth?
- Can I tether a phone to a laptop?
- How do I tether my iPhone to my iPad?
- How do I switch off tethering?
What is tethering?
Tethering is a procedure used to connect a mobile device such as a Laptop, Tablet or mobile phone to the Internet, using a smartphone as a mobile hotspot to create a small localised wireless internet connection. Tethering is an excellent way of getting online when you cannot access WI-FI as your mobile device can act as a modem to share the internet with more than one device. Tethering can also be done via Bluetooth or with a USB connection.
How does tethering work?
When you turn on tethering on your mobile device you broadcast a signal as a WI-FI network that shows up on a list of available Wi-Fi networks on the other Wi-Fi enabled devices in the immediate area. This Wi-Fi network can then be connected to by inputting the security password which appears on the tethering device.
What is USB tethering?
USB tethering allows the sharing of the Internet connection when you connect your mobile device to whatever device you want to share with using a USB cable. The internet speed obtained when using this tethering method is faster in the connected device.
What is Bluetooth tethering?
Bluetooth tethering shares the wireless connection of an Android device with another device by pairing the two devices. With Bluetooth tethering you can only attach to one device. If you want to share your mobile data with someone this can be done without disclosing a password.
How do I tether an iPhone?
Open the Settings app on your iPhone and select Personal Hotspot and switch it on. The Hotspot password will appear on the screen which is required for the first time you want to connect another device. On the list of available Wi-Fi networks on the device you want to connect choose your iPhone enter the Hotspot password.
How do I tether an Android?
Open the Settings app, select Wireless and Networks then tap the More option and then select Tethering and Portable Hotspot. Switch it on and you will see the name of the Hotspot and password. From the list of available Wifi networks on the device you want to connect choose your Android phone and enter the password.
Can I tether a phone to my router?
Yes. Go to settings app on your mobile phone and select General Settings, then Wi-Fi and turn it on. Select your router network that appears on the screen and input the router password.
How can I tether via bluetooth?
- Turn on Bluetooth on both phones. Open Bluetooth settings and keep both devices as Discoverable. You can do this via Settings->Bluetooth->Turn on. Keep this screen.
- Pair the two devices. When Phone 1 is discovered by Phone 2, and vice-versa, a Bluetooth pairing code will ask for confirmation on both devices. Tap on Pair
- Turn on Bluetooth tethering in Phone 1 from Settings->More->Tethering & Mobile Hotspot->Turn on Bluetooth tethering
- Open Bluetooth settings (mentioned in Step 1) on both phones and keep them Discoverable. Tap on Phone 2 name in Phone 1 to allow it to use data via Bluetooth tethering.
Now both phones can access the internet.
Can I tether a phone to a laptop?
Yes you can! All you have to do is plug your charging cable or your USB into your phone, and the USB side into your laptop or PC. Then, open your phone and head to Settings. Look for the Wireless and Networks section and tap on 'Tethering & portable hotspot'. You should then see the 'USB tethering' option. Select it and off you go!
How do I tether my iPhone to my iPad?
- Open the settings on your iPhone
- Select your Personal Hotspot
- Turn the switch on so your hotspot is discoverable
- Remember the password you have set for your hotspot
Next you need to:
- Open the settings on your iPad.
- Tap WIFI
- In Personal Hotspots, select your phone name
- Enter the password and your iPad will connect.
How do I switch off tethering?
Simply go to the Personal Hotspot setting on your device and turn the toggle off so it is not green.