You can buy a SIM card in Barcelona to have Internet during your trip. But you should know that this is not the only way. You also have the option of activating your phone company's roaming service or connecting to a wifi network. Your best alternative, however, is to get a virtual eSIM card that provides unlimited data.
Buy a SIM card in Barcelona
Buying a SIM card in Barcelona can be a good idea to solve your Internet problems abroad. After all, they provide good mobile data packages and, best of all, they don't force you to commit to any one company.
You can buy your SIM card in many of the supermarkets and specialized shops you'll find in Barcelona. Another option is to buy it online, although you will have to wait until you receive it at your hotel or home before you can access the Internet.
Avoid the temptation to buy your prepaid card at the airport. We know it can be tempting, because you'll have it at your fingertips as soon as you get off the plane. But trust us, you'll pay more for it than you should.
Here are the main companies from which you can buy your SIM card in Barcelona:
- Barcelona SIM card of Movistar: As the largest company in Spain, you will have no problem finding one of its cards in all kinds of establishments.
- Orange SIM card in Barcelona: Probably one of the cheapest options you'll find for mobile data during your trip.
- Vodadone SIM card in Barcelona: Its biggest advantage is that it has a wide variety of plans depending on the time and amount of data you need.
Other ways to get Internet in Barcelona
The SIM card will certainly solve your Internet connection problems, but be aware that it is not the only option available to you. You still have the option of connecting to many of Barcelona's wifi hotspots, renting a pocket wifi or activating your phone company's roaming service.
As we don't want you to waste time and money on your purchase, we'll detail each of the alternatives so that you're on the safe side:
|How much does it cost the Internet in Barcelona?|
|eSIM Barcelona Holafly||
|Barcelona SIM card||
|Wifi in Barcelona:
|Roaming in Barcelona:
eSIM for Barcelona: Your best option to get unlimited data
In addition to buying a SIM card in Barcelona, we have mentioned many other options for getting internet access during your adventure. But we were leaving out one that shines above the rest: getting an eSIM. This is a virtual card that you receive in your email as soon as you buy it and that you can activate with a simple code from your phone as soon as you land at the airport.
As you can see, one of the biggest advantages of buying an eSIM for Barcelona is convenience. After all, you won't have to spend time looking for a card in the city, nor will you have to resort to much more expensive alternatives.
You can buy this product from many companies, more and more of them. We are talking about Airalo, SimOptions or Yesim, among others. But we think your best option is Holafly. Why? Because their packages have unlimited data, naturally.
- Advantages of signing up for an eSIM to travel to Barcelona with Holafly
- You receive the card directly in your mailbox so that you can activate it when you arrive at your destination.
- It has a customer service department that can assist you at any time of the day.
- You keep your regular SIM card in case you ever need to use it.
- It is the cheapest option for unlimited Internet access.
- Disadvantages of the Holafly Barcelona eSIM card
- You will not be able to make calls from your usual number, but you will from WhatsApp.
- Although you will have unlimited data, you will not be able to share it.
Don't forget that, in addition to unlimited data, signing up for your eSIM Barcelona with Holafly provides you with a 24/7 customer service that is available in up to eight different languages. You can call at any time of the day, there will always be someone there to help you with whatever you need.
|Barcelona eSIM Holafly: all the plans|
Sign up now for your Holafly eSIM with a 5% discount including the coupon ROAMS
And if you want to check the variety offered by the market, here you have other companies with which you can contract your eSIM for Barcelona:
- Nomad eSIM.
Roaming in Barcelona
Travelling to a European country, you may have thought about activating your phone provider's roaming service. And it's not a bad option, as there's virtually nothing to do and, in most cases, mobile data is included in the tariff you already pay for it.
But be careful, because the Internet connection you'll have in Barcelona won't be unlimited. Companies usually set a limit which, if exceeded, will result in a significant surcharge on your bill. We recommend that you check the conditions of your tariff with your operator if you don't want to get an unpleasant surprise at the end of the month.
These are the main UK operators with which you can activate your roaming plan:
- EE roaming in Barcelona: With your usual plan, you won't have to pay anything extra to enjoy mobile data in the European area.
- Roaming with O2 in Barcelona: As you are within Europe, you will not have to pay more than you usually pay for Internet access.
- Three roaming for Barcelona: Unless you exceed the data allowance stipulated in your contract, you will be able to make calls and connect to the Internet at no extra cost.
- Vodafone roaming for Barcelona: Its tariffs include Spain among the countries with free roaming, so you will be able to make calls and have data on your mobile.
Public wifi hotspots in Barcelona
Barcelona is a city that offers a wide variety of free wifi hotspots in its parks and avenues. Otherwise, you always have the option of connecting in any bar, hostel or public establishment. It is a very good option to have access to the Internet during your trip, but be aware that these networks are not at all secure. Be careful with your personal data
Rent a pocket wifi in Barcelona
An increasingly common alternative for travellers is to connect to a pocket wifi or MiFi. These are portable devices that you can rent to have mobile data abroad. Here are some of the companies from which you can contract this service:
- Wifivox: With the ability to connect up to five devices, you can enjoy mobile data packages starting at 1GB.
- Travel Wifi: Its wide range of plans start at 2GB of Internet data per day.
- MioWifi: The connection it provides is 4G and high-speed, so it can get you out of trouble during your trip.
- Klook Wifi: And if you're looking for variety, this company has data plans ranging from 1GB to 4GB.
While pocket wifi is a convenient way to get internet access, it must be recognized that their data plans can be more budget-intensive than other options.
In addition, you will have to return the device in perfect condition. If you fail to do so, the company will impose a financial penalty that can cost you an arm and a leg. Make sure you travel to a safe place before renting anything.
Reasons why you should have Internet in Barcelona?
From sharing photos and videos of your trip on social media to contacting family and friends, the reasons why you need Internet in Barcelona are diverse:
- Google Maps: If you are one of those who find your way around easily, great. If not, you'll need an app like this to get around the city without getting lost.
- Barcelona's underground: Barcelona is a city with a powerful cultural scene, ranging from theatre to musicals and concerts. If you want to see even the tiniest venue, you'll need an internet connection.
- Bus and subway: Barcelona's metro and bus lines are very dense, so it's in your interest to download an app to make your work easier.
- WhatsApp: Unless your roaming service allows you to do so, you will find it difficult to make calls from your phone. But if you have WhatsApp, you will have no problem contacting whoever you want.
It’s clear that, with an Internet connection, all journeys are more comfortable and enjoyable. Just think that in Barcelona there is a wide variety of plans waiting for you. You can enjoy the best views of the city at the Búnker del Carmel, lose yourself in the Laberinto de Horta or take a pleasant stroll through Poble Espanyol.
Tips before travelling to Barcelona
We have all heard of Barcelona as a tourist destination. But if you don't want to waste time with unexpected surprises, we recommend you take note of these practical tips:
- Book your accommodation in advance: Remember that Barcelona is the most touristic city in Spain, so it receives millions of people every year. If you take the trouble to look for your hotel in advance, you'll save yourself a lot of hassle and maybe even some money.
- Get the City Pass: This is a season ticket that allows you to enter the Sagrada Familia, Parc Güell and many other monuments considered to be of tourist interest.
- Take advantage of the free shuttle bus: Some people don't know this, but you can catch a bus from the airport that takes you directly to the city centre. And it's totally free.
- Get the Hola BCN card: For public transport, this pass will give you unlimited travel. You can buy 2, 3, 4 or 5 day passes. Ideal for relatively short stays in the city.
If you are lucky enough to be able to travel to other destinations, here are some of the international data plans for internet while you travel:
FAQs about SIM card in Barcelona
Where to buy a SIM card in Barcelona?
To buy a SIM card in Barcelona, you can go to any supermarket or shop specializing in mobile telephony. You can also buy one at the airport, but we don't recommend it, as you'll pay more than you should.
Can tourist buy a SIM card in Barcelona?
Any traveller can buy a SIM card in Barcelona. You will only need to present your passport or ID in order to do so.
What is the best way to get unlimited data in Barcelona?
For unlimited internet access, you can buy an eSIM card, activate your provider's roaming or connect to a public wifi network.